The 94th Comrades Marathon will be taking place on Sunday, June 9. Whether you are a supporter or a commuter it is a good idea to take note of road closures during the day long race.
At 87 kilometres the gruelling yet scenic route which meanders along the old ‘main’ roads between Durban and Pietermaritzburg is the world’s largest and oldest ulramarathon.
It is an event that brings entrants from around the globe and this years annual test of endurance will see 25 000 people starting in Durban and running up to Pietermaritzburg in the hopes of beating the final gun.
Please take note of the following road closures in Durban:
- Dr Pixley Ka Seme Street between Dorothy Nyembe Street and Samora Machel Street, from 5pm-7am
- Samora Machel Street between Monty Naicker Street and Anton Lembede Street, from midnight to 7am
- Sherwood, 45th Cutting, from 4am-7.30am
- Cowies Hill, from 4.30am-8.30am
- Pinetown and Fields Hill, from 4.45am-9.15am
- Kloof, from 5am-10am
- Hillcrest, from 5.30am-11am
- Bothas Hill, from 5.40am-11.30am
- Drummond, from 6am-12.30pm
- Cato Ridge, from 7am-2pm
- Camperdown, from 7.30am-2.30pm
- Umlaas Road ,from 8am-3.55pm
- Lion Park, from 9am-4pm
- Ashburton, from 9am-5pm
- Polly Shortts, from 9am-6pm
The following roads will be closed in Pietermaritzburg:
- CB Downes Road
- Gladys Manzi Road
- Cleland Road
- Blackburrow Road
- Fairfield Avenue
- Ridge Road
- Harwin Road
- Taylor Road
For another other information, please check the Comrades official website.