News

KZN truck drivers are committed to cease attacks on trucks

Within hours of police minister Bheki Cele and newly-appointed transport minister Fikile Mbalula called for South Africans to stop torching trucks on highways, a truck was torched on the N2 in Durban.

Trucking companies are not only angered by the cost of the damage incurred and the looting of stocks but also the attack and injury to their drivers.

Advocate Pria Hassan of Positive Freight Solutions forum was representing the trucking industry when she addressed media in Durban on Monday said that they will not tolerate the attacks on the drivers.

According to IOL more than 60 trucks were attacked over the past three weeks and many drivers had sustained injuries.

The protests began due to the accusation that foreign drivers are taking the jobs of local drivers and trucking companies who employ them.

KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala said that stakeholder meetings had been held and the parties have decided that police will put together a rapid response team to attend to the attacks on foreigners with a response time of no less than five minutes.

The government, along with truck owners will fund a skills development program for drivers.

ATDF representative, Sipho Zungu said drivers are committed to ending the violence provided that South Africans are given first priority to driver vacancies.